ACS Certified B.S. Degree
Students pursuing this degree plan will complete a breadth of chemistry courses and will choose between a concentration in Chemistry or Biochemistry for their additional upper-level coursework.
Forty-seven to forty-nine semester hours including the following:
- CHE 1301/1101-Basic Principles of Modern Chemistry I & General Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHE 1302/1102-Basic Principles of Modern Chemistry II & 1102 General Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHE 2416-Laboratory Measurements and Techniques
- CHE 3331-Organic Chemistry I
- CHE 3332-Organic Chemistry II
- CHE 3238-Organic Chemistry Laboratory
- CHE 4341-General Biochemistry
- CHE 4302-Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry
- CHE 4321-Physical Chemistry I
- CHE 4227-Physical Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHE 4322-Physical Chemistry II
- CHE 4228-Physical Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHE 4316-Instrumental Analysis
- CHE 4151-Undergraduate Seminar I
- CHE 4001-An exit examination, designated by the department, will be required of all chemistry majors. This examination will be chosen by the department from the GRE, ETS, or another similar examination.
Additional requirements for students pursuing a concentration in Chemistry:
- CHE 4307-Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Six semester hours selected from: CHE 4207 (Preparative Inorganic Chemistry), 4217 (Instrumental Analysis Laboratory), 4237 (Advanced Organic Laboratory), (-OR- one hour each of CHE 4199 and 4V98).
Additional requirements for students pursuing a concentration in Biochemistry:
- CHE 4141(Modern Biochemistry Laboratory), 4142(Advanced Biochemistry Laboratory), 4342(Topics in Human Biochemistry).
- Two semester hours selected from: CHE 4207 (Preparative Inorganic Chemistry), 4217 (Instrumental Analysis Laboratory), 4237 (Advanced Organic Laboratory), (-OR- one hour each of CHE 4199 and 4V98).
- Other Required courses outside Chemistry: BIO 1305-1105 (or 1405),BIO 1306-1106 (or 1406). BIO 4306 is recommended.
Required courses in other fields:
- MTH 1321, 1322, 2321-Calculus I, II, III
- One course from: MTH 3325, STA 2381, or STA 3381 (MTH 3325 is recommended unless student is pre-health.)
- PHY 1420, 1430-General Physics I-II